Hardware Earrings on a Dime. I’ve been admiring all the trendy hardware jewelry I’ve seen lately so I thought I’d try my hand at it too. Earlier this week I went to the local hardware store and as I perused the nuts and bolts section, I came across some stainless steel washers – immediately I had an idea in mind for them. I brought them home and started the assembly process. Oh, and why is the title of my blog post “Hardware Earrings on a Dime”? Well, yes they are an affordable DIY but also, when I went to attach the bail to the washer I realized that the back of the bail came down too far so I needed to add something to cover over the hole in the middle. I couldn’t find anything and then I spotted our stash of coins – bingo, dimes were exactly what I needed for these earrings. My goal was to make these fun and playful so I decided to incorporate nail polish – every girl needs a little colour in her life! I love the results and it was easy and affordable to make these adorable hardware earrings.
- Stainless steel washers
- Nail polish
- Ear wires
- Glue (I used Weldbond)
- Needle-nose pliers
- Carefully paint the front (smooth) side of the washers with your desired nail polish color and allow to dry.
- Paint the dimes with a contrasting nail polish color (you don’t need to paint the entire side of the dime, just a circle larger than the hole in the washer), allow to dry.
- Place glue around the edge of the washer and glue the dime on to the back of the washer so that the side of the dime that has nail polish on it can be seen when you look through the hole. Allow to dry.
- Now glue the bail on the washer.
- After everything has set overnight and is completely dry, use your needle-nose pliers to fasten the ear wire on the bail. Tighten and make sure the washer/dime is secure. That’s it, you’re done.
Subscribe to Dabbles and Babbles to receive the latest crafts, activities for kids, recipes, printables, tutorials and more – subscribe in the right sidebar.
Thanks for reading!